Monday, November 22, 2010

It's That Time Of Year...

This Thursday is that one day of the year over-eating is encouraged. That's right, it's Thanksgiving time again. Some people roast their bird, some people deep fry them. Some people eat homemade cranberries and some eat them from a can (I'm not a big fan of either). No matter what you eat, or how you eat it (for all the cavemen and women out there who enjoy roasting over an open flame and eating with your hands), there are a few things that are certain about Thanksgiving Thursday:

1) You're going to eat WAAYYYYY Too much
2) It's going to be an awesome decision until you see desert, then you're going to feel like you're going to explode
3) Someone in your house is going to be glued to the TV watching football all day
4) Leftovers will most likely last you the next 2 weeks (at least that's how it's been in my house)

Oh yeah, and #'s 5 &6?
Thanksgiving Eve and Black Friday.

Drink it in, people. The night before Thanksgiving is historically The Busiest bar night of the year (followed by New Years Eve in 2nd, and not including the Wildest day of killing your liver, St. Patrick's Day). It's the night that most people are home to see family, college kids are back from school, and most of the people from high school you may have been waiting to see, or never cared to see again, will be out and about. For those who are used to the wild night's in Pittsburgh on the weekends, you know what kind of mayhem awaits some of these poor souls. What you may not realize is that this night can become amateur hour in the blink of an eye. And the police know this all too well. If you're out on the town, and you know someone on south side, just plan to crash at their place. Or Catch a cab, or get a hotel room. No matter what, driving after this night of crazy drinking and reminiscing can get ugly quick, so save yourself from potential disaster be plan for the night.

Then the day after the feast of the year is that notorious shopping day known as Black Friday. You can bet your sweet @ss that I wouldn't be caught dead near a mall on this day, but for you brave souls venturing out to try and find the best deals, God Speed. I think I've only gone shopping on this day once in my life, and when I got to the mall at about 2 in the afternoon, the mall was still packed, and every store looked as barren and looted as every zombie/apocalypse movie ever released. It was kind of a funny sight to see, but I was bummed when what I was looking for was sold out, and the next best thing wasn't discounted at all, and wasn't really what I was looking for. Don't get me wrong, there are some great deals out there on this day, and some people love shopping on this day, but personally, I'll be doing my shopping another day.


This is one of my favorite holidays, mostly because it's really about coming together with family and friends, and those are things you can't buy in the store. Sitting around the dinner table, telling stories and enjoying each other's company is one of my favorite things, and I have a feeling this year is going to be another great one, which I am eternally Thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment